A recipe by
NEW RECIPE Beetroot falafels
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
Preparation time 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp chili powder (allepo)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) raw beets, peeled, grated, and lightly strained
- 1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and strained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 4 tbsp roasted chickpea flour
- In a sauce pan, on medium heat, cook onions in olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and spices and stir until well blended. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the beets with the onion and spice mixture until a puree forms. Reserve.
- Add the chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs to food processor and pulse until well blended but still textured.
- Combine the beet puree and chickpea mix in a bowl and adjust seasoning with salt. Adjust the texture by adding chickpea flour one tbsp. at a time until consistency is smooth and firm.
- Cover and let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form the mixture into balls about 2” in diameter ( 1 ½ - 2 tbsp.) onto the baking sheet. Wet your hands to minimize sticking.
- Cook the falafel balls in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until falafels are frim and begin to crack on the outside. Serve hot and enjoy.
- If desired, falafels can also be fried. In a 350 degree fryer, gently lower the falafel balls one at a time and fry for about 3-5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Make sure to flip the falafels to cook evenly and fry in batches as not to overcrowd the fryer. Let your falafels cool on a resting rack.
Yogurt Za’atar sauce
2 cups plain yogourt (Liberté med. 10% or Greek)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Za’atar spice mix
½ tsp chili powder, allepo (if desired)
1 tbsp tahini
Salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Keep in refrigerated until ready to use.