Quark Cheese Fritters
- In a bowl, whisk together the Liberté Quark Cheese, sugar, lemon zest, egg and egg yolk. In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir all dry ingredients into the cheese mixture.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350 °F (180 °C) with canola oil.
- Using two teaspoons, drop carefully into the hot oil small balls of donut dough.
- With a slotted metal spoon, turn over the fritters a few times until a uniform colour is obtained.
- When the fritters are golden brown, drain and roll them immediately in granulated sugar.
Salted Butter Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan, heat the corn syrup, sugar and water over high heat until the mixture turns into a fairly dark caramel, about 2 minutes.
- In another small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil, remove from heat and keep warm.
- Remove the saucepan of syrup from heat and drizzle with the hot cream while tossing to avoid causing a thermal shock.
- Mix the butter into the caramel and toss until it emulsifies.
- Serve the fritters while still warm with caramel sauce.
The caramel sauce can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.